Dealing with property or vehicle damage, following a large weather event like Cyclone Debbie can be very daunting.
In this time of crisis, Insurance Aid General Brokers are advising clients in the eye of the storm to stay calm and remember, the number one priority is to put your welfare and safety first, and then to make the property safe.
After the cyclone has passed, customers are advised to notify emergency services if urgent assistance is needed, then if property damage has occurred to notify their broker/insurer as soon as possible.
In a large-scale event, claims will be triaged and repairs to make a home weatherproof and safe will be a priority.
Arrangements will be made to get the property assessed as soon as it is safe to do so.
It is important to note that one of the biggest problems with these types of catastrophes is getting access to a builder/trades/repairers.
When there is major damage to glass, it is our experience that some of the permanent repairs could take several months to be complete.
Below is a list of things you can do if you experience any damage from cyclone Debbie:
- If the property is unsafe, notify the local authorities such as SES and Energex.
- Board up broken windows where necessary to try and keep the area dry and ventilated as possible. Covering broken windows will make them safer and will assist in avoiding the quick build-up of mold.
- Take photos of the damage to help support your claim in the event items need to be thrown out.
- If your electrics/electrical items have been water damaged get a professional to look at it before the power is turned on to the property
- Once the property is safe, notify your insurance broker who will have emergency contact numbers for insurers.
Insurers will allow reasonable expenses to be incurred to assist in this process.
Insurance Companies are very quick to activate disaster plans to assist with the influx of new claims and enquiries.
We have a dedicated claims team in our office and have activated our catastrophe plan and are ready, waiting to help our clients in what could be a potentially worrying or stressful time.
Our thoughts are with those that are bracing for cyclone Debbie and hope that everyone stays safe.
For your various insurance needs contact Insurance Aid General Brokers on 07 3630 1823 or email@example.com
*Image source; Bureau of Meteorology Tuesday, 28 March 2017 5:40am http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR243.loop.shtml#skip